The Pigeon Hole.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

this site is run by fanciers for faciers of racing, show and fancy pigeons.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Velocity Calculator.Velocity Calculator.  
Feeding Chicken Layer Pellets Banner_versele Feeding Chicken Layer Pellets Eijerkamp Feeding Chicken Layer Pellets Elimar Feeding Chicken Layer Pellets Bbc Feeding Chicken Layer Pellets Gsverkerk

Feeding Chicken Layer Pellets

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
confederatemule

Location : I am in the Oklahoma, Arkansas, Louisiana corner of Texas

Feeding Chicken Layer Pellets Empty
PostSubject: Feeding Chicken Layer Pellets   Feeding Chicken Layer Pellets EmptyThu Jan 24, 2019 2:10 pm

I am trying to get away from feeding grain. There is only one feed supply store in my area that feeds Pigeon seeds. 50lb bag is $28.00 The pigeons will only eat certain seeds. I opted to buy corn, milo, and wheat seeds, each in 50lb bags. Total cost $23.00. They still tend to waste the wheat and milo. They fill up on corn.

I am thinking of going to pellets. I have tried game bird crumbled pellets as well as chicken layer pellets. The pigeons eat the pellets and crumbles like they were starving to death.

I know the pigeons are getting a more balanced diet with the pellets. I think the chicken layer pellets are my preference. I think it is more of a completely nutritional diet.

BTW... the cost is important.

Would y'all share your knowledge with me?

Thanks for all the advice given.
Mule
Back to top Go down
edgie

PostSubject: Re: Feeding Chicken Layer Pellets   Feeding Chicken Layer Pellets EmptyTue Jan 29, 2019 11:27 am

I would not feed chicken pellets at no price, as it is put together for chickens which went down a different road of evolution, mix some barley in with your corn and only feed a handfull at a time , when they eat everything then give a little more and so on , you are feeding too much at the moment , they will eat what they want and not what you feed them , when they wont eat the barley take it away till tomorrow , they will soon get the idea when hungry . hope this helps cheers
Back to top Go down
confederatemule

PostSubject: Re: Feeding Chicken Layer Pellets   Feeding Chicken Layer Pellets EmptyTue Jan 29, 2019 11:14 pm

Can't get barley locally. I ain't gonna have it shipped to me.

Mule
Back to top Go down
edgie

PostSubject: Re: Feeding Chicken Layer Pellets   Feeding Chicken Layer Pellets EmptyWed Jan 30, 2019 7:20 am

then simply don't feed as much , handfull at a time when they leave some food and look for more of what they like , don't give anymore till next feed time , they will soon clear the lot if they are hungry . a pigeon should eat around 1oz of food a day per bird . cheers
Back to top Go down
confederatemule

PostSubject: Re: Feeding Chicken Layer Pellets   Feeding Chicken Layer Pellets EmptyWed Jan 30, 2019 6:08 pm

How do I keep the gluttons from running other birds away from food? I probably over eed to make sure they all get at least a tablespoon of feed. For thirty-four birds I feed 40 tablespoons. They devour it and scramble for more.
Back to top Go down
edgie

PostSubject: Re: Feeding Chicken Layer Pellets   Feeding Chicken Layer Pellets EmptyWed Jan 30, 2019 9:43 pm

a pigeon needs to eat what it wants , just don't give them it all at once, give a few handfuls at a time , you will notice some eat more than others , when you get some that go to drinker say around 6 then stop feeding them ,they will get into a routine after a few days ,the food you are giving them is easly digested that's not a bad thing maybe a little stronger corn in the mix would help[ I,e, maze or pease or beans just a couple of handfuls in the mix , feeding is a fine art and not just a matter of stuffing them up . don't forget to give them grit and minerals fresh every other day its a must for healthy birds cheers
Back to top Go down
edgie

PostSubject: Re: Feeding Chicken Layer Pellets   Feeding Chicken Layer Pellets EmptyWed Jan 30, 2019 9:48 pm

edgie wrote:
a pigeon needs to eat what it wants , just don't give them it all at once, give a few handfuls at a time , you will notice some eat more than others , when you get some that go to drinker say around 6 then stop feeding them ,they will get into a routine after a few days ,the food you are giving them is easly digested that's not a bad thing maybe a little stronger corn in the mix would help[ I,e, maze or pease or beans just a couple of handfuls in the mix , feeding is a fine art and not just a matter of stuffing them up . don't forget to give them grit and minerals fresh every other day its a must for healthy birds cheers
p.s. don't be offended if I sound a bit strong at times its the Yorkshire man in me, but you can rest assured I am telling you the truth , but that hurts sometimes ?
Back to top Go down
confederatemule

PostSubject: Re: Feeding Chicken Layer Pellets   Feeding Chicken Layer Pellets EmptyThu Jan 31, 2019 11:29 am

Thanks for the great information. DuMor Layer Pellets are supposed to be a complete feed, nothing extra needed, but I can add a little whole corn (deer corn) and keep Oyster Shells available. Will Oyster shell work as grit? I do have Chick grit that I can give them.

Mule
Back to top Go down
edgie

PostSubject: Re: Feeding Chicken Layer Pellets   Feeding Chicken Layer Pellets EmptyFri Feb 01, 2019 6:40 am

yes they are a complete feed full of goodness and antibiotics and growth hormones they are for chickens and your birds will eat them , and like I said they are not for pigeons , you will have problems with your birds if you continue feeding it to your birds , i.e. enlarged hearts and no imunity , so not for me thank you , as for oyster shell for grit thats ok but crush it small ,if you can get old clay bricks crush those they are good for the birds .
Back to top Go down
edgie

PostSubject: Re: Feeding Chicken Layer Pellets   Feeding Chicken Layer Pellets EmptyFri Feb 01, 2019 6:58 am

just wonderd if you would like to give me a time , and the click on home page I can then speak directly to you , it maybe easyer to answer your questions , just a thought cheers edgie cheers
Back to top Go down
confederatemule

PostSubject: Re: Feeding Chicken Layer Pellets   Feeding Chicken Layer Pellets EmptyFri Feb 01, 2019 12:55 pm

edgie wrote:
just wonderd if you would like to give me a time , and the click on home page I can then speak directly to you , it maybe easyer to answer your questions , just a thought cheers edgie cheers

I don't understand. Question
Back to top Go down
edgie

PostSubject: Re: Feeding Chicken Layer Pellets   Feeding Chicken Layer Pellets EmptyFri Feb 01, 2019 10:19 pm

top left of page where it says home click there the rest is easy
Back to top Go down
edgie

PostSubject: Re: Feeding Chicken Layer Pellets   Feeding Chicken Layer Pellets EmptyMon Feb 04, 2019 9:23 pm

where you got to mule ?
Back to top Go down
confederatemule

PostSubject: Re: Feeding Chicken Layer Pellets   Feeding Chicken Layer Pellets EmptyTue Feb 05, 2019 9:44 am

I went to the chat area, if that is where you wanted me to go, and can't send anything.
Back to top Go down
edgie

PostSubject: Re: Feeding Chicken Layer Pellets   Feeding Chicken Layer Pellets EmptyTue Feb 05, 2019 10:09 pm

hi mule sorry for the confusion , we have to be on there at the same time , from what I see there is a time difference of 6 hours so if you try at 3pm it will be 9 pm my time , so if you click on home page top left then log in which is on your right your name will come op on screen with mine , we can then talk as long as we like , hope this helps edgie cheers I shall try at 9pm tomorrow so you try at 3 pm we shall see if it works lol!
Back to top Go down
confederatemule

PostSubject: Re: Feeding Chicken Layer Pellets   Feeding Chicken Layer Pellets EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 2:07 am

I'll try. I can't be on long at that time of day. 1:00 PM would be better for me.
Back to top Go down
edgie

PostSubject: Re: Feeding Chicken Layer Pellets   Feeding Chicken Layer Pellets EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 7:19 am

ok you try 1pm I will try 7pm my time and hopefully we wil meet in the middle Question cheers
Back to top Go down
edgie

PostSubject: Re: Feeding Chicken Layer Pellets   Feeding Chicken Layer Pellets EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 6:55 pm

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Feeding Chicken Layer Pellets   Feeding Chicken Layer Pellets Empty

Back to top Go down

Feeding Chicken Layer Pellets
Page 1 of 1